The Elementary School aims to provide an excellent education for all our students, preparing them to become responsible, effective, creative, enterprising and happy members of society in the 21st Century.
We are committed to fostering a community of learners, and to providing an academic curriculum that enables all children to:
- Build conceptual understanding
- Develop international-mindedness
- Acquire and use 21st century skills including social skills, thinking skills, self-management skills, research skills and communication skills
- Develop knowledge and skills in the areas of language, mathematics, science, social studies, the arts and physical /health education
- Develop positive, constructive attitudes towards life and learning
- Take action based on what they have learned
A typical day is structured around eight 40 minute periods with a 30 minute break for snack and play in the morning and one hour given to lunchtime. Nursery and Pre-K students have an extra afternoon snack as well.
Our academic programme is supported by a wide range of sporting, recreational, artistic and cultural activities. We positively encourage parent involvement and participation, indeed many activities are arranged to encourage parents to visit and involve themselves in the learning experiences.
Primary Years Programme
The Primary Years Programme (PYP) is a dynamic and effective way of guiding young learners through the learning process using inquiry-based learning opportunities. Students are challenged to both answer and ask relevant questions that allow them to discover more about the world around them and to learn about the inter-connectedness of our world.
Key skills, concepts and knowledge are taught by homeroom and subject teachers through a mixture of subject based teaching, and transdisciplinary units of inquiry. Units of inquiry are planned so that students learn about and through the different subject areas in context, by addressing six globally significant themes at each grade level, namely: Who we are, Where we are in place and time, How we express ourselves, How the world works, How we organize ourselves and Sharing the planet.